Andrew Frederick Hunter (1863-1940)
Historian, Archaeologist, Editor, Author
SCHA Andrew Hunter Award
The Andrew Hunter Award is offered annually for historical research on a topic pertaining to a Simcoe County, Ontario topic. In this tenth year of competition, we look forward to receiving many worthy entries for each of the award offered.
The $500.00 award is offered in Canadian funds for the best undergraduate essay. The Simcoe County Historical Association may edit the winning entries for the purpose of publication.
The Simcoe County Historical Association is under no obligation to grant the award each year.
Awards are given to high-quality entries on some aspect of the history of Simcoe County, Ontario, written in English or in French. The author must have been a part-time or full-time undergraduate student in a degree program at an accredited university or college at the time of writing.
- The essay must have been written to meet the requirement of an undergraduate credit course during the 2015-2016 academic year.
- Entries become the property of the Simcoe County Historical Association and may be published as part of an essay collection.
- Undergraduate essay entries must be postmarked by April, 18, 2016.
- Submissions will not be returned to the contestants.
- Papers must be typed in Times New Roman 12 point font, double-spaced, and should not bear the instructor’s comments or grade.
- Three printed copies must be provided.
- A cover sheet must list the author’s name, address, phone number, year of study, school affiliation and department, and the name of the instructor for whom the paper was written.
- Contestants should keep the SCHA aware of their contact information should there be a change in this information after submission.
Entries should be sent to:
The Correspondence Secretary
Simcoe County Historical Association
P.O. Box 144, Barrie, ON L4M 4S9
Entries will be judged by a distinguished panel appointed by the Simcoe County Historical Association. The winner of the essays will be contacted as soon as possible. Up to two prizes may be awarded each year. A digital copy of the winning essay will be provided to the SCHA by the award recipient.